The lack of confidence to speak or express ideas in any particular language hampers one’s confidence and personality. And since English is one of the trendiest languages and it’s not going out of trend anytime soon. English TV series and movies are more popular than many other language’s.
The root of successfully learning anything is motivation. If you are motivated, and determined, success is almost granted.
Like everything, it takes time and regular practice. Not living in a country full of native speakers it can be really hard to engross yourself in a language. You have to find something in English that you are intensely interested in. And something that amuses you.
And they are not only the means of entertainment but also an opportunity and exercise that is fun and enhances one’s personality. They (movies and T.V. series) enable people from non-English speaking backgrounds to get to learn English in a very natural way. And also, they help people develop confidence.
The idea of watching these series and movies is to enhance and uproot the confidence and comfort one has with a particular language. Eloquent speech, intellectual citation and choice of words will be a great help to learn words in an effortless way.
Television programs and movies offer one way to pick up conversational English skills and new words. However, the process of learning to speak English requires a person to be far more active than simply turning on the TV and watching. So, it would not be fair to say that only watching these TV series and movies will do. But, they will certainly boost your overall English learning process.
Watching any TV show adds new phrases and words to your vocabulary. Your confidence strengthens and you become more adept at using words and phrases in your everyday personal and professional conversations.
You learn about life and start to appreciate the littlest of things.
One of the most appealing reason, these series or movies enlighten the littlest of details of one’s mind. They provide a better ways to express oneself in words and expressions.
But, before you start watching these series or movies, I want you to keep in mind:
- Addiction of any kind is bad for you – Do not get addicted to anything. And when I talk about TV series, I know this addiction. Because I am one of the victims. It’s bad. So bad. Your mind stops the parameters of interaction with the outer world and you dive into it so deep that you start ignoring entities that include everything and especially the most important ones, your work, meals, and exercises. Family, friends, and life. Because you see your life revolving around that particular thing, and that’s not fair. As we say excess of anything is bad for any person. So, keep a pace and exhibit a proper coordination between everything.
- Do not watch without subtitles – If you are beginning with a particular series and a language that is not your native. You should watch with subtitle tracks. As watching something with subtitles gives you a proper and clear understanding of what the characters are and what their roles are endeavouring to immediate by that cameo. And that will help you grasp the new words continually, evolving the word process.
- Do not watch the videos that are translated in your own dialect – And when I recommend not to watch the translations, I recommend this with pressure. Because watching anything that is being translated into your dialect does not provide you with any new knowledge about any particular language. It makes no change and no improvement in your communication and language skills.
- Do not stick to a particular genre – Sticking to a particular genre gives you a wide outlook, but in that particular genre. However, it cuts you down from many other things. The things that have been produced lately. And, making a perspective about something since the beginning blocks the passage of the creative block of your mind. It is very important to explore your horizons and find out what you like and then choose what to follow.
The Main Benefits You Will Reap:
- You learn about a completely new culture – The shows and movies you start watching give you a sight. With a sight I mean, a broader perspective of the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively. And the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society.
- You learn various phrases, proverbs, and words – If you know 1000 words, you might not be able to say one correct sentence. But if you know 1 phrase, you can make hundreds of correct sentences. If you know 100 phrases, you will be surprised at how many correct sentences you will be able to say. And, this is what you grasp and are helped with, from the TV shows or movies that you watch.
- You learn how the natives speak English – I have always been told that it is extremely hard to master English like the native speakers. But, a firm belief and practice makes you learn and almost master the language like those vernaculars.
- Your thought process gets better – It is definite, I can write it in block letters as well to define the authenticity of these words. Because one gets to know about various cultures and the more we watch, the more we learn about different thought processes and how people react. This gives us to think with all the possible perspectives. And make wise decisions.
- I bet, the imagination power blooms – The more creative ideas and forms we see, the more our mind runs in different directions to work on different spheres to blossom the flower that has been hidden between the bushes for long.
So, use this opportunity and get the most out of it .
Here’s a list of some of the movies and T.V. series that are most talked about. Some of them are my all time favourites. Read about them and look into something that strikes and interests you. Start watching and learning:
- V for Vendetta
- Batman and Series
- X-Men and Series
- Suicide Squad
- Pulp Fiction
- The Shawshank Redemption
- Gone With the Wind
- The Bucket List
- Driving Miss Daisy
- Good Will Hunting
- The Pursuit of Happyness
- The Untouchables
- Dead Poet’s Society
- Slumdog Millionare
- Sherlock Holmes
- Orange is the New Black
- The Flash
- Game of Thrones
- Sex and the City
- The Big Bang Theory
- Modern Family
- How I Met Your Mother
- Breaking Bad
- Doctor Who