Over the time, Psychology has come up as a popular career choice among the students.
Career options like teaching, psychologist, counselor, etc. is another reason for why people are becoming more inclined towards this field of education.
However, pursuing the right course from the right institution is of utmost importance. This will help you in gaining right exposure, knowledge, and understanding of the subject matter.
Understanding the importance of a college or institution, in the long run, I have come up with a list of top Psychology colleges in India.
The Psychology colleges listed below are among the best Psychology colleges in India. Either you are looking for Psychology colleges in India after 12th or a Psychology college to pursue your masters, these colleges are best in all.
Top 11 Psychology Colleges In India After 12th
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Psychology and Research, Bangalore
- Fergusson College, Pune
- Presidency College, Chennai
- Jesus & Mary College, Delhi
- Sophia College for Women, Mumbai
- Bheem Rao Ambedkar College, Delhi
- Mount Carmel College, Bangalore
- Loreto College, Kolkata
- Madras School of Social Work, Madras
- Christ University, Bangalore
Given below are the details pertaining these colleges:
Lady Shri Ram College for Women
The candidate must have passed 10+2. They must meet the percentage requirement as per the cut-off list.
Indian Institute of Psychology and Research
Indian Institute of Psychology and Research (IIPR) is among the premier Psychology institutions in India. IIPR was established in the year 2004. It is affiliated to the Bangalore University.
- B.A. Psychology, Marketing, and Economics
- B.A. Psychology, Journalism, and Women Studies
- M.Sc. Psychology
- M.Sc. Psychological Counselling
- Research Facilitation Program
The candidate must have passed a relevant exam before applying for a particular course level.
For details on eligibility criteria, click here.
Fergusson College is located in Pune. Its Department of Psychology offers courses from undergraduate to Ph.D. level. Since its inception in 1979, the college is catering to its Psychology aspirants.
- B.A. Psychology
- M.A. Psychology in
- Industrial Psychology
- Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. Research
- DES Post Graduate Course in Counseling Psychology (PGCCP)
The candidate must have passed a relevant exam before applying for admission to the college.
Presidency College, Chennai
- M.Sc. Psychology
- M.Phil. Psychology (both full time and part time)
For UG course, a candidate must have passed 10+2 in Science stream. For PG and M.Phil, a candidate must have relevant graduate and postgraduate degree, respectively.
Jesus & Mary College
Jesus and Mary College is located in Delhi. The college is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Delhi. The college is among the premiere women colleges of the country.
- B.A (Hons.) Psychology
The candidate must have passed 10+2. The candidate who’s percentage matches with the cut-off list can apply for admission.
Sophia College for Women
The Sophia College for Women was found in the year 1941. The college is affiliated to Mumbai University. The college’s Department of Psychology has been offering the degree level course since 1976. Lectures and interactive discussions, field visits, workshops are regularly conducted to enhance the learning experience of students.
- B.A. Psychology
Students who pass the H.S.C. Examination conducted by the Maharashtra Board are eligible.
Students who pass the H.S.C., I.S.C., C.B.S.E., or any other qualifying examination from any Board/University other than Maharashtra Board should obtain the “provisional Eligibility Certificate” from the Registrar, University of Mumbai, Mumbai-400098, before seeking admission to the College.
Bheem Rao Ambedkar College
Bheem Rao Ambedkar college came into existence in the year 1991. It is a constituent college of the University of Delhi. The college offers a number of undergraduate and add-on courses.
B.A. (Hons.) Applied Psychology
Students have to register online for admission to the college. However, only those candidates are eligible who’s 10+2 percentage matches with the percentage in the cut-off list.
Mount Carmel College, Bangalore
Mount Carmel is a women’s college located in Bangalore. The college offers a variety of undergraduate and postgraduate courses. At present, the college is offering 4 UG level and 1 PG level courses in Psychology.
- BA – Psychology, Economics, Sociology (PyES)
- BA – Psychology, Economics, English (PyEE)
- BA – Psychology, English, Journalism (PYEJ)
- BA – Psychology, English, Communication Studies (PYEC)
- M.Sc Psychology
The candidates who have qualified two years Pre-University Examinations conducted by the Karnataka Pre-University Education Board or any other examination considered as equivalent thereto shall be eligible for admission.
Loreto College, Kolkata
Loreto College was established in the year 1912. It is affiliated to Calcutta University. The college’s Psychology department was founded in the year 2007. The Psychology department offers only two undergraduate courses.
- B. A. (Hons.) Psychology
- B.Sc. Honors Course in Psychology
The candidate must have passed 10+2 examination from a recognized board.
Madras School of Social Work, Madras
The Madras School of Social Work is an autonomous institution. It is affiliated to Madras University. The Department of Counselling Psychology is the one responsible for conducting the Psychology programs for the school.
- B.Sc. Psychology
- M.Sc. Counselling Psychology
For B.Sc. Psychology- The candidate should have passed the Higher Secondary Examinations (Academic or Vocational Stream) conducted by the Government of Tamil Nadu or an Examination accepted as equivalent thereof by the Syndicate of the University of Madras.
For M.Sc. Psychology: A student who has passed B.A./ B.Sc. Psychology Degree Examination, or any of the following degree, Bachelor of Social Work (BSW), B.A. Sociology, B.Sc. Home Science or Human Development or Child Development, B.A. Philosophy, B.Ed. or any other related subjects, B.A / B.Sc. with Psychology paper/papers either from the Madras University or from any other University, accepted by the Syndicate as equivalent thereto shall be permitted to appear and qualify for the M.Sc. Degree in Counselling Psychology of this University.
Christ University, Bangalore
Christ University is among the most reputed university of the country. Keeping in mind the interests of the students, christ university offers a number of courses in different fields. The Faculty of Humanities and Social Science offers different courses in the field of Psychology. Candidates are required to apply for admission either via online mode or directly through the website.
- BA CEP-Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Communication and Media, English and Psychology
- BA JPEng-Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Journalism, Psychology, English
- BA PSEng-Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Psychology, Sociology, English
- BA PSEco-Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Psychology, Sociology, Economics
- BA PEP-Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Performing Arts, English, Psychology
- BA TEP-Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Theatre Studies, English and Psychology
- BA MPE-Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Music-Western Classical, Psychology, English
- Master of Science (MSc) in Behavioural Science
- Master of Science (MSc) in Psychology (Clinical)
- Master of Science (MSc) in Counselling Psychology
- Master of Science (MSc) in Psychology (HRDM)
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Psychology
For UG courses candidate must have passed 10+2. For PG and other courses, a candidate must have a relevant degree.
So these are the top Psychology colleges in India. Anyone who is planning to pursue a career in Psychology should definitely consider these institutions.
However, this is not the end of the road. There are a lot more lucrative career options after 12th. All you need to do is seek information and choose the right path for yourself.