Andhra University was established in 1926 by the Madras University Act to serve the entire linguistic region of Andhra as a residential teaching- cum-affiliating University.The Telugu speaking people are emotionally attached to the University as it was the result of a prolonged struggle of Telugu elite. Andhra University is not just one of the oldest educational institutions in the country but also the first to be conceived as a residential multi-disciplinary University. The 88-year-old institution is fortunate to have Sir C.R. Reddy as its founder Vice chancellor and Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan as the second Vice-Chancellor. The foundations laid by these two visionaries proved to be fruitful in the succeeding decades. The university emblem was designed by shri kowta Rammohan sastri with guidance of Sir C. R. Reddy and it was acclaimed as the best emblem in those days.
The University is a sprawling campus of 422 acres dotted with 121 buildings for academic, administrative, and support services, with a plinth area of about 20 lakhs sq.ft., and 324 staff quarters.Read more